Sacramento Area Miata Owners Association
Copyright 2021 • Sacramento Area Miata Owners Association • Sacramento, CA 95602
• Arrive at the starting point on time with a full tank of gas and be ready to leave on time.
• If you are going to meet the group on the route or leave the group before the end, notify the event leader.
• When parking in business parking lots, don't park in front of the business. Use the back areas of the parking lot so that their paying customers have places to park.
• Do not go faster than you are comfortable driving. Don't "jump" the traffic lights to keep up. Stay within your driving ability.
• Do not pass the leader.
• If you need to pull over, turn on your flashers and pull off the road. The sweep car will stop behind you.
• If you suddenly decide to leave the group, pull off the road and wave the sweep car past you.
• DO NOT TAILGATE!
• If other cars are trying to pass us, let them.
• When we stop, such as to regroup, make sure you pull completely off the road. Use your turn signals.
• If you want the group to stop, flash your lights. If the car behind you flashes their lights, flash yours until the leader pulls over.
• If you are not feeling up to par, tell the leader. We will find someone to drive for you, no questions asked.
• When we are making a turn and there are two turn lanes, or when we are going straight through an intersection that has two lanes, use both lanes. We will re-group after the intersection.
• When we pass through a congested area, we will stop as soon as safely possible to re-group before any turns are made.
• Continuous unsafe driving that endangers the group will result in the leader ending the event immediately.
• When we have pulled off to regroup, and are ready to pull out, the sweep car will indicate by radio and/or signal and will pull out to indicate it is safe. You should still check to be sure it is safe to pull out. All Miatas should pull out simultaneously, to get onto the road in unison as quickly and as safely as possible.
• Pass only when legal and safe. Do not pass on double yellow lines or on curves.
• If a member of our group wants to pass you, let them. You are probably driving too slow
• Stay within the posted speed limit. (Yellow speed signs on curves are advisory speeds.) If traffic is flowing slower than the speed limit stay with the traffic flow.
• If road conditions warrant, slow down.
• The lead Miata will establish the pace for the group, but it is each driver's responsibility to keep the Miata behind or ahead of him or her in sight.
• This is a fun run, not a race. Drive safely and do not intimidate other drivers.
• If you are socializing, be aware that the lead Miata may be trying to tell you something.
• Pause often so the conversation can be interrupted if necessary.
• Be aware of changing weather and road conditions. If it is hotter or colder than expected, allow extra stops so people can change clothes, put tops up or down, add sunscreen, drink water, etc.
• Wait for the sweep Miata to verify that all cars have cleared a controlled intersection before resuming speed. Do NOT slow down after a turn to watch to see if people made it – this often causes bunching up of cars and can be a traffic hazard.
• Always allow space for run participants to pull out of the traffic lanes without bunching up.
• Stay in frequent contact with the lead Miata in congested areas.
• Always let the lead Miata know when you have cleared a controlled intersection or congested area.
• Do not pass a Miata that has pulled over unless they have told you they are dropping out or if they wave you by.
• The sweep Miata should let the lead Miata know if the pace is too fast or too slow, and the lead Miata should make the appropriate adjustment.
Rules of The Road
The most basic rules are behave yourself, stay within the law and use common sense.